Multimedia • Reference • Religion • Travel
I Never Knew That Was in the Bible: The Ultimate A to Z Resource Series
From The Publisher:
The Ultimate A-to-Z Resource to Common Expressions and Curious Words from the Bible
- Shows how hundreds of today's colorful, everyday expressions come from the Bible, such as "the blind leading the blind," "by the skin of my teeth," "a fly in the ointment," and many more.
- Explains the original meaning and occasions of these expressions in the Old and New Testaments.
- Gives the fascinating and often humorous stories behind hundreds of other words and phrases from the great English Bible, the King James Version, especially those with different or rarely-used meanings in today's English.
- A great resource for Bible word studies: KJV expressions are illuminated by comparison with the way they are translated in eight major 20th-century Bible versions: cev, nasb, ncv, niv, nkjv, nlt, nrsv, rsv.
- Illustrates the meaning of many terms with generous quotations from Shakespeare and other Elizabethan literature.
- Entertaining as well as informative: a one-of-a-kind illustrated reference work that all Bible readers, students of English literature, writers, and word lovers of all kinds will treasure.
About the Author
Martin Manser is a professional reference-book editor and Bible scholar who has compiled and edited more than 70 titles, including dictionaries and biblical reference works. He holds the BA Honours degree in linguistics and an M Phil degree, and he resides with his wife and children in England.
Write your own online review.
Look for Similar Books by Subject
What Does The Bible Say About... The Ultimate A To Z Resource
Copyright ©1996-2010 CenturyOne Bookstore. All Rights Reserved.
All prices subject to change and given in U.S. dollars.
Your purchase from CenturyOne.com will assist the CenturyOne Foundation in providing funding for various archaeological and research projects which seek to provide more information about the period of the First Century C.E., the origins of Christianity and the world of the Bible in general.
All materials contained in http://www.centuryone.com are protected by copyright and trademark laws and may not be used for any purpose whatsoever other than private, non-commercial viewing purposes. Derivative works and other unauthorized copying or use of stills, video footage, text or graphics is expressly prohibited.